Broccoli-Edamame Soup with Jumbo Goat Cheese Croutons



Vegetarian Times
This creamy soup gets its extra richness and bright color from edamame.
Serves 8

2 tsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I make my own so I am rest assured that it is truly low sodium and that I know what is in it!)
3 cups frozen shelled edamame
1 lb. broccoli, trimmed, stems and florets chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
8 1/2-inch-thick slices from skinny whole-grain baguette
4 oz. aged goat cheese, shaved


Directions
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sauté 10 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, scraping bottom of pot to lift off any brown bits. Add remaining 51/2 cups broth, edamame, broccoli, and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange baguette slices on baking sheet, and bake 6 minutes, or until crunchy on both sides. Remove from oven, and arrange cheese over toasts. Return to oven, and bake 6 minutes more, or until cheese has softened.
3. Working in batches, transfer soup to blender, and blend until creamy and smooth. Return soup to pot, and warm over low heat. Ladle soup into 8 shallow soup bowls; float 1 cheese crouton in center of each bowl.
Nutritional Information
Per serving (1 1/4 cup soup and 1 crouton): Calories: 195, Protein: 12g, Total fat: 9g, Saturated fat: 4g, Carbs: 19g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 174mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 5g




It is so delicious and surprisingly creamy! The edamame makes it that way! I make my own vegetable stock and freeze it in batches so I can thaw and use whenever I need some.

I was on the phone with my sister while making this soup and did not hold the blender lid down tight enough and had green soup all over the kitchen!! It was totally worth it though!! I loved it so much that I saved the left overs for myself. I took it for lunch two days in a row and DID NOT share it! Try it you will not be disappointed! The kids enjoyed it immensely including the jumbo goat cheese crouton!



XOXO
Mini

Comments

Popular Posts