Butternut squash stuffed mushrooms with goat cheese and balsamic glaze


Its been months!! I know, I know......Its just been waaay too busy. Between work and kids and hubby travelling its been a rough 6 months. My friend Ramona urged me to share a recipe of what I had for dinner last night and that motivated me to sign in again and I am so glad I did. I have missed you my dear blog :) and I am BACK!


What I made for dinner yesterday is beyond delicious!  Its a gourmet meal!

Squash
2 c. butternut squash, cubed
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. fennel seeds
Salt
Pepper

Mushrooms
4 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed. I used the baby bellas just because I couldnt find good regular sized caps.
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 sprigs or oregano or thyme, leaves stripped and roughly chopped

Filling
¼ c. sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
¼ c. Panko breadcrumbs
¼. goat cheese, crumbled

To serve

4 handfuls of baby kale or arugula (I used a combination of spinach, baby kale and baby swiss chard).
juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp. olive oil
¼ c. shaved parmesan cheese
Balsamic glaze
(Make your own by simmering down 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar until its gets thick and syrupy and delicious!)

*Serves for dinner or a light lunch or appetizer.


**Because mushrooms are made up of mostly water, there's no need to soak them clean. Brush with a paper towel to remove dirt and grit.

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
  2. In a large bowl, add the butternut squash, olive oil, brown sugar and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Toss well to combine. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Set aside.
  3. Reduce the oven to 375 F for the mushrooms.
  4. For the mushrooms, combine the minced garlic, olive oil and chopped herbs. Brush the inside of each mushroom cap with the mixture.
  5. For the filling, combine the sun-dried tomatoes and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
  6. To assemble, fill each mushroom with the roasted butternut squash (you will have extra- just eat it) and top with sun-dried tomatoes and breadcrumbs. Dollop with goat cheese. Place the mushrooms into a parchment lined baking tray.
  7. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the tops are golden brown.
  8. To serve, dress the baby kale with lemon and olive oil. Transfer the greens to a platter and arrange the stuffed mushrooms on top. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

Comments

Popular Posts